Friday, May 29, 2009

Final Reflection

In order to cap off these reflections and my experience in Senegal, it is only appropriate to make connections and write down some of my final reflections. Out of all the classes I took, papers I read, and places I saw, the most important and impressionable part of Senegal was the people. It is these people that took me into their homes and treated me like family; these people who taught me their language and their culture; these people that excepted me as a part of their village and community; these people who taught me more about myself than I ever expected; these people with who I laughed and cried, hugged and fought. I cannot say that I have ever met a more welcoming, fun, and loving people. I ate with them, drank tea with them, slept next to them, and worked with them. I became close with them. I fell in love with them.

Of course there were personal and cultural challenges along the way. But in the end, I came out stronger and closer to all of the people I love. I was having a mentally and emotionally intense time towards the end of my stay in Senegal. It was wonderful how everyone rallied around me, doing all that they could to help me and give me love. I have made lifelong friends and family in Senegal, and I will never, never forget them. Just today I was chatting with Medoune (my host brother) and Namory via facebook. I couldn’t stop smiling and laughing. We were communicating in English, French, and Wolof. It was truly cross-cultural and international. But it was also simply friends to friends, person to person; sharing cultures, sharing ideas, sharing friendship. I never thought that I would experience anything like it. I want to thank everyone for everything that they have done for me. I hope to come back soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment